Skin care regimen for the cold days of winter.
For many the cold days of winters, along with the rosy glow to the cheeks, also bring the uncomfortable dryness to the skin. Some people face even more adverse effects like flaking, cracking or eczema.
Here are a few tips for boosting your skin care regimen to keep your skin moist and healthy through the winter months.
- Moisturize: Choose a moisturizer that is oil based, rather than water based. Oil creates a protective later on the skin that retains more moisture than a lotion. Make sure to choose non-clogging oil like avocado oil, primrose oil or almond oil. Body Butter can clog facial pores and make skin more prone to acne & pimples.
- Apply Sunscreen: Winter sun is just as harmful as summer sun and can damage your skin. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen to your face and other exposed parts about 30 minutes before going outside.
- Care for the Hands: The skin on your hands has fewer oil glands and doesn’t retain much moisture, especially in the cold, dry weather. This can lead to itchiness and cracking. Moisturize your hands every few hours or after washing.
- Invest in a good humidifier: Humidifiers get more moisture in the air, which helps the skin from drying out.
- Keep hydrated: Drink plenty of water. It helps keep the skin hydrated too.
- Moisturize you feet: During the winter, feet need stronger creams & lotions. Exfoliates periodically to get the dead skin off. It helps the moisturizers to sink in faster and deeper.
- Use milk cleansers for face: Avoid using harsh peels, masks, and alcohol-based toners or make up remover. They take away vital oil from the skin and make it dry. Use cleansing milk, non-alcoholic toner and deep hydrating masks.
- Avoid hot baths: Hot shower or bath break down the lipid barriers in the skin and leads to a loss of moisture.
- Seek a specialist: Avoid using over the counter commercial skin care products. It is always better to consult an aesthetician or a dermatologist. These specialists understand your skin type and only then suggest the best skin care regimen.